Tuesday, August 02, 2005

So what does meatloaf have to do with Newfoundland? Very little I'm afraid. Newfoundland is a British colony. It still, strangely enough, holds dear to its well formed isolationist roots.

But it still can throw you for a loop now and again.

Today was that day, but I am sure you bright readers already figured that out.

My trip home has been filled with booze, friends, fatty food, and sun. Some of these are strange. Some are not. But most of all, my trip has been filled with meatloaf... er people. I have reacquainted or met so many interesting people.

This evening I met Maioway (I hope that is right), a sixteen year old kid who happened to be walking home the same direction and time I was. He was alive, not afraid to walk or talk with an old foggie like myself, just trying to get home at 3 in the morning.

Maioway has lived in St. John's his entire life. He grew up here. He loves the place and identitifies as a Newf. But like every Newf, he wants to see the big city. He really wanted to know what Toronto was like. I told him.

He got it all. He liked it all, but he had one question...

"What exactly is racial profiling?"

He figured it out, after I told him, but he didn't really understand. He was still excited. His only response was, "Idonknow, everyone's been so nice to me"

Maioway was a black kid who was raised in Newfoundland. He loved the place, but wanted to leave for experience's sake.

He is just more concerned about Newfie jokes than racism.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good story.
:)

I hope you warned him about the alligators in the subway too.